DIY Lace Crown
I made these lace crowns to be used as photo props for a couple of projects I have in the works. You can make these for Halloween, playing dress up, as party favors, etc. They are really easy to make. They would be even easier if you didn’t make 15 at once like I did- I was super ready to be done with them. There are many tutorials on the internet on how to make these that I looked at for ideas. Here’s how I made them: First you will need some lace ribbon ( I chose one small and one larger), fabric stiffener (or I read you can use modge podge), spray paint (that’s what I used but you could use another type- possibly one that is a little less chemically), some sort of paper to cover your working space, foam brush, hot glue ( or a fabric glue), and embellishments like rhinestones, fabric flowers, pins (optional).
1. Cut lace to desired length. I think mine were about 11- 16 inches in length. This depends on how you want them to fit- if you want them to fit around the head nicely they will be a bit bigger. A small crown in proportion to your head is also a popular look. I measured how big I wanted them based off my two boys heads.
2. Take the fabric stiffener and cover the lace in it. I poured it into a cup and brushed it on both sides of the lace with a foam brush. I also tried just dunking the lace in the stiffener. Just make sure the lace is thoroughly covered.
3. Wipe off the excess stiffener, making sure there aren’t any bubbles of it in the holes of the lace. I used my fingers to do this by rubbing fingers along the lace and by pinching to pop any bubbles.
4. Lay flat to dry.
5. After the lace has dried, repeat steps 2-4 until you have at least a few coats and the lace is feeling sturdy enough. In my anxiousness to be done with this step, I was a bit sloppy. I had to cut out a few dried bubbles.
6. Glue the ends together to form the crown.
7. Paint the crown. I used a glitter spray paint over a metallic paint but might just do the glitter in the future.
8. Keep as is or add any embellishments you desire. I used a pin, fabric flowers and rhinestones.
Here are a few more samples of my completed crowns.